Notary Public Enfield & Haringey

Frequently Asked Questions

What services does a notary public provide?

A Notary Public can authenticate or witness most documents and can also arrange legalisation. The Notary Public’s signature and seal will verify to the authorities in a foreign country that relevant checks have been carried out and that the document has been properly signed.

What is legalisation?

Many countries also require notarised documents to be legalised/apostilled. Legalisation by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) is confirmation that the notaries signature and seal is genuine.

Some countries may also require the notarised document to be legalised/apostilled by their own embassy in the UK after it has received legalisation by FCDO.

Can documents in a foreign language be notarised?

The Notary Public must ensure that the client fully understands every document they are required to sign.

What is the usual procedure?

  1. The client emails their draft document to the Notary Public together with any completion instructions.
  2. The Notary Public will review the document and instructions and determine whether there are other requirements. The Notary Public will confirm their fee and any disbursements, for example, legalisation costs.
  3. A convenient appointment will be arranged in order for the Notary Public to check the client’s identity and proof of address documents and witness the client signing the completed document in the Notary Public’s presence. The Notary Public can also arrange legislation of the document if required.

Who regulates a Notary Public?

A Notary Public is regulated by the Master of the Faculties through the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury. A Notary Public is also required to maintain professional indemnity and fidelity insurance.

What identification does a Notary Public require?

Each person whose signature is to be certified must provide an original of the following; for example, current valid passport, UK photo card driving licence.

Each person must also produce an original proof of their address; for example, bank statement, utility bill, council tax bill, HMRC letter.